W E L C O M E T O
H E D A L L E S
O R E G O N
Known as the end of the Oregon Trail, The
Dalles was where pioneers loaded their wagons onto rafts or barges
and floated down the Columbia to the mouth of the Willamette River,
then upriver to Oregon City. The Barlow Trail was constructed
later to permit an overland crossing.
The Dalles was the site of Fort Dalles.
Established in 1850 to protect immigrants after the Whitman massacre,
it was the only military post between the Pacific Coast and Wyoming.
The only building left of Fort Dalles is the Surgeon's Quarters,
which has been incorporated into the Fort Dalles Museum. Fort
Dalles Museum features a collection of military artifacts, household
goods and old medical equipment. It's a favorite stop on The Dalles Old Town walking tour. Oregon's oldest bookstore, Klindt's (315
E 2nd St), is also part of the tour. Established in
1870, it contains the original wood floors, and oak and plate
glass display cases, as well as a selection of books well worth
Sorosis Park is a 15 acre park located
high above The Dalles on the cliffs. It's worth visiting just
for the view of the river, the town and the mountains. Park facilities include picnic tables, a playground, rose gardens and tennis
Recreation in The Dalles area includes
windsurfing, fishing and camping. The Dalles has a reputation
for being the best place to learn windsurfing. A favorite windsurfing
starting point is Celio Park, nine miles east of The Dalles. Anglers
can try for walleye and sturgeon in the Columbia River. Campers
can cross the river to the Washington side and visit Horsethief
State Park, the site of some of the most famous pictographs along
the Columbia River. The park includes Horsethief Lake, where visitors
can fish, swim or picnic.
Pulpit Rock, once used as gathering place for missionaries to
preach, stands in the middle of 12th Street in The Dalles. A photo
of the rock taken in the early 1900s is shown in the OSU Digital